You’ll never go back to the bag. These homemade potato chips are just that incredible. They are a bit time-consuming, especially if you are cooking for a crowd but totally worth it. The oil is infused with sage, rosemary, and garlic. You’ll know the oil is hot and ready for the potatoes once the herbs have become crispy. Remove the crisped herbs and put the potato slices in one at a time. After they turn brown, take them out of the oil, lay on a paper towel, and sprinkle with sea salt. You need to sprinkle with sea salt or whatever other toppings or spices while they are still hot. Experiment with whatever herbs you prefer (I suggest ones that are more woody and earthy) or top with parmesan after cooked.
In order to get the thinnest potato slices, use a mandoline, a food processor, or a vegetable peeler. I suggest using Yukon Gold potatoes but feel free to experiment or use what you have in the kitchen. I deep fried these potatoes for the full potato chip experience, but try baking them for a healthier alternative and let me know how they come out!
Sage & Rosemary Infused Kettle Chips
- 6 large Yukon gold potatoes
- Canola oil and olive oil, 75/25 ratio for frying
- 6 whole cloves garlic
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 bunch sage
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Wash and clean the potatoes in cold running water. Using a mandoline, food processor, or vegetable peeler, finely slice the potatoes into chips. Drop the chips into a bowl of ice water as you work to prevent them from going brown. This will also remove any excess starch.
2. Set a large pot of 75/25 canola and olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic (paper and all) and whole stems of fresh rosemary and sage.. Bring oil up to 375 degrees F. As it heats up the oil will get infused with the garlic and herbs. Once the herbs crackle and get crispy and you know they are done. Remove the herbs and garlic and set aside on paper towels.
3. Fry the potatoes in batches until golden and crispy. Drain the chips, dry well on paper towels and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with crispy herbs and garlic.