I was away last week on a yoga retreat in the beautiful Berkshires. That meant eating vegetarian and super healthy the whole time. For meals and snacks, thats fine with me on the overall. But no dessert. No butter, no fat, no chocolate. I finally escaped at one point and found myself a buttery, nut-filled, chocolate chip cookie. Maybe I’m not the best yogi, but I’m realistic about my need for a tasty dessert every once in a while. Come on, honesty, what is life of peace and centeredness without chocolate and butter?
These bars are pure indulgence. Just the name alone – Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars. It’s a combination of two amazing desserts – cheesecake and chocolate chip cookie dough. A special thank you to Bake or Break for this over-the-top recipe. It begins with a graham cracker crust, a layer of cheesecake topped with dollops of chocolate chip cookie dough and completed with drizzles of melted chocolate. I had an embarassing semi-homemade moment in making these bars and used store-bought refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough. If you don’t want to dirty another bowl, just buy the log of chocolate chip cookie dough and go for it. I had enough dough leftover for a dozen big cookies that I dunked in the remaining melted chocolate.
You need to cool these bars completely before digging in. I made mine the night before having people over and stashed them in the back of the fridge so I couldn’t pull them out as a late night snack. After cooled for at least an hour in the fridge, I recommend cutting the squares small, these are rich and sweet.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
from Bake or Break
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Butter a 9″-square baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving enough to extend over the sides. Butter the parchment paper.
2. Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter until crumbs are moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Press crust mixture into bottom of pan and 1 inch up sides. Bake for 6 minutes. Set pan on wire rack to cool
Cookie Dough (if you’re not using the store-bought dough)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chip
- 10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar just until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract, beating just until blended.
2. Pour batter into baked crust. Drop cookie dough by teaspoonfuls over the top of the filling.
3. Bake about 30 minutes, or until set. Transfer to wire rack.
**For chocolate topping, melt 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips in a double boiler or in the microwave. Add about 1/2 tablespoon of butter if necessary to make chocolate smooth. Drizzle over top of bars. Cool bars in pan completely, about an hour.
Using the edges of the parchment paper, remove bars from pan. Cut into bars and serve.